LUMHS is the 1st seat of medical learning in Sindh. It started as a medical school in 1881 at Hyderabad was inaugurated by Sir Francis Moody, first Governor of Sindh.
First batch constituted of 45 students including 1 Muslim female student. On separation of Sindh from the Bombay Presidency, this school was upgraded to the status of Medical College, and named as the Sindh Medical College in 1945. By the end of the same year it was renamed as Dow Medical College.
The Sindh Government subsequently started another College in the premises of Civil Hospital at Hyderabad in 1951, which acquired its name, Liaquat Medical College after the name of 1st Prime Minister of Pakistan.
The college was later shifted to its new campus at Jamshoro in 1963. During its journey for more than 50 years, LMC made tremendous contributions in medical education, research and health care. Initially, it ran MBBS courses only. The Dental Section (BDS) was added in 1963. In the same year, the college also started postgraduate courses in various disciplines of medical sciences. It was upgraded as Postgraduate Institute in 1989. Besides, it became a recognized institution for the training for FCPS and MCPS/DCPS of CPSP in almost all disciplines of Medicine, Surgery, Dentistry and Allied Sciences receiving recognition from accreditation bodies of foreign countries such as British General Medical Council of UK, ECFMG of USA and similar bodies of several other countries. It is worth mentioning that General Medical council of UK granted recognition to MBBS Degree immediately after passing out of First batch in 1956. The institution has made significant contribution in postgraduate medical education. During last ten years, over 1000 specialists have been produced in various disciplines of clinical and basic sciences with postgraduate qualification of Master, M.Phil and Diplomas. Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences receives students from all over the country as well as foreign countries and has over 30 affiliated colleges. The University provides boarding facilities to over 3000 students, both male and female. At the campus, there are six hostels for boys with residential capacity of over 2000 students, while there are also six hostels for the girl students and a working women hostel for postgraduate students.